What to bring on your hunting trip with us - GGO & WTO Outfitters


If you hunt at GGO: Anyone who shoots a deer with antlers measuring less than 150 B&C, as measured according to the method of the recognized Boone & Crockett scale, will be fined $2,000 immediately.

An amount of $2,000 will be preauthorized on your credit card upon arrival at the outfitters. This amount will be automatically charged if the minimum score is not respected.

This policy aims to maximize the possibility of harvesting a true trophy, year after year.

Thank you for respecting our management philosophy.


The cost of hunting permits varies depending on the type of game (deer or black bear) and whether or not you are a Canadian resident. To get a hunting permit, you must provide a picture of your driver’s license or passport, or your HAL number.

To obtain a permit to hunt black bears, whitetail deer or migratory birds, you must send your request to the outfitters (GGO & WTO), whether or not you are a Canadian resident.

Note that the cost of the hunting permit can change without warning, depending on the decisions made by the government. If this is the case, you must pay the difference between the cost of the permit at the time of purchase and the change implemented by the government.

All hunters, regardless of their place of residence, must also get a wildlife habitat certificate (vignette) through the outfitters (GGO & WTO).

To ensure that we provide you with the latest information, costs of permits and vignettes will be provided upon request.


The weapons allowed by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment to hunt whitetail deer vary depending on the hunting period and the place of residence of the hunters. If you want to use a rifle, we recommend a minimum caliber of 270.

Here are the applicable rules for deer hunting weapons:

For Canadian residents

  • From September 1st to October 31st: bow, crossbow and powder rifle
  • From November 1st to 30th: rifle

For non-residents

  • From September 1st to October 31st: bow, crossbow and powder rifle
  • From October 1st to December 7th: rifle

Hunting in Western Canada is usually popular among archers, but on the dates proposed by GGO & WTO, hunters can also use a rifle or black powder rifle (muzzle loaded).


To meet the standards of the Firearms Act, visitors/non-residents of Canada must fill out a declaration to import weapons into Canada.

You must declare your weapons in writing, in triplicate, via the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration form, available on the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website (form CAFC909).

To have your request processed as quickly as possible at the point of entry, make sure to fill out the declaration form in advance; however, wait to be at the entry point to sign it as your signature must be attested by a customs officer. Once a Canada Border Services Agency officer attests your declaration, the latter serves as a temporary permit and registration certificate for all firearms brought into Canada. The declaration is valid for 60 days.

The attested declaration will cost you $25, regardless of the number of firearms you bring. The declaration is valid for the signatory only, and only for the weapons registered on it.

If you have any questions regarding your firearms:

Consult the RCMP:

Telephone: 1-800-731-4000

Email: pcaf-cfp@rcmp.gc.ca 

Fax: 613-825-0297

Note that non-residents who want to avoid customs formalities for firearm entry into Canada can book a package allowing them to use the weapons and ammunition available at the outfitters. By choosing this option, they have no form to fill out.


American citizens or foreigners must have a valid passport to enter Canada. Depending on your country of origin, you may also need a visa. We suggest checking with the competent authorities of your government, embassy or Canadian consulate to know what documents you need to enter Canada, depending on your situation.

Air carriers must ensure that your travel permits are valid and suitable to enter Canada. If you do not have the necessary documents, you may be denied boarding. Contact your travel agent for more information.

Some useful links:


There are four different seasons in Saskatchewan. The average temperature varies between -25 degrees Celsius (-13 degrees Fahrenheit) in winter and 25 ºC (77 ºF) in summer.

In winter, the average temperatures vary between 0 and -24 ºC (32 and -11 ºF) and in summer, between 15 and 30 ºC (59 and 89 ºF).

Far from any major stretch of water, Saskatchewan has a continental temperature climate. It is Canada’s sunniest province and the second receiving the least snow each year (145 cm – 8.85 inches). It is also the one with the hottest summer (22 ºC (71.6 ºF) and the fourth receiving the least precipitation each year (428 mm – 1.4 inch). 

We recommend bringing warm, silent and quality clothing, like the one offered by Raven Wear. For more information on their products, go to www.ravenwear.ca. Warm and comfortable clothing will help you forget the cold and focus on the game, especially during the deer hunting period.

Some useful links



Hunting gear:

  • A rifle (calibre 270 minimum), bow, crossbow or black powder rifle (muzzle loaded), depending on the type of weapon authorized on the date of your stay and the terms of your contract (12 gauge shotgun for waterfowl hunting)
  • Two boxes of ammunition, arrows (12 gauge ammunitions available at camp for waterfowl)
  • A soft leather case for your weapon (required for transportation at the outfitters)
  • A backpack
  • Quality Thermos
  • Chest Wedder (waterfowl)
  • Binoculars
  • A knife
  • A flashlight and spare batteries
  • Hot pads for your hands and feet (november)
  • Insecticide (just in case – for bear hunting)

Hunting clothes:

  • Outdoor jackets in one of the following colours when you are rifle hunting:
    • Bright red
    • Light yellow
    • Fluorescent orange
    • White (only suggested for deer hunting)
    • A mix of these colours
  • (Sleeveless) vests is now accepted by the Saskatchewan Government.
  • Camouflage clothing should only be worn for bear hunting, practiced only by archers or waterfowl.
  • If you are using a rifle or powder rifle, you must wear coloured clothing as indicated above.
  • An orange cap or tuque (mandatory only for whitetail deer hunting) – available at the outfitters
  • A wool or fleece mask
  • Boots
    • Very warm for deer hunting
    • Regular for bear hunting
    • Rubber boots Waterfowl and bear hunting
  • Camp shoes
  • Wool socks
  • Light socks (e.g. polypropylene)
  • Sweat pants
  • T-shirts (e.g. polypropylene)
  • Warm shirts
  • Long polypropylene underwear
  • Mittens, gloves (bring more for deer hunting)
  • Rain gear

Personal belongings:

  • Camera
  • Video camera (optional)
  • Medication (if necessary)
    • People with food allergies or chronic diseases are asked to inform us and to mention it in the contract
  • Toiletries

We want to protect the wildlife on the WTO outfitters territory and because of that, we recommend you practice your shooting to avoid wounding any animal.

If an animal is wounded and not found, your hunt must stop immediately until your guide (the outfitters) decides otherwise. We need time to take all the necessary measures to recover wounded animals before resuming the hunting activity.

It is the hunting law in Saskatchewan: useless waste of big game must stop.

Western Trophy Outfitters respects and applies the laws applicable in Saskatchewan and asks that its hunters do the same.


Here are some hotels close to the airport that we recommend:

The sandman hotel
Telephone: 306 477 4844
Address: 310 Circle Drive W,
Saskatoon, S7L 2Y5

The courtyard Marriott
333 Aerogreen Cres, Saskatoon, SK S7L 1S4
Téléphone : (306) 986-4993

The Saskatoon inn
2002 Airport Dr, Saskatoon, SK S7L 6M4
Téléphone :(306) 242-1440


Share this page | Useful information

Share this page